Friday, April 21, 2006

The night before the morning after...

I got home late tonight - I had the last of my twice weekly French classes was this evening (and I'm not at all disappointed with an overall grade of 'B-'). Was delayed being talked through the medieval process of filing my tax return. Many thanks to LN for helping me in that department. All my dreams of Canada as a modern, developed and progressive society were destroyed when I discovered the amount of paperwork (provincial and federal) that every citizen has to fill in. However, if it means a refund at the end of it all, I tolerate it for a bit.

The cats have been acting strange. They know something is up. I've not been doing too much overt packing, but they can sense that something is about to change. My routine has changed, and I've spent today going around the apartment and coming in and out ticking off things on my long list. How will they cope when I'm not here tomorrow night? Whose bed will they sleep on if mine doesn't have it's usual lumpy and snoring occupant? To be honest, it's not the cats I'm worried about - they will adjust, even if it does mean that they're going to pee all over the place in the mean time. I just don't know if I have completely comprehended the mammoth scale of what I am about to do. Tomorrow morning I will begin a journey whose length will be roughly equivilent to a half circumference of the earth.

Am I ready...?

We're about to find out.

Next update due from Chicago this weekend. Windy City, here I come...

*j*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The cats are fine, don't worry James. Only Caca seems a bit confused when she meeouws (???) reproachfully: "But where did you put the James??" She must have spent part of the night on my brother's bed for some human warmth, the rest of it she was probably snoring on your bed - I saw her and Toast there when I went to the toilet in the night.

I will say your name a lot when the cats are around so they won't feel quite as lonely...